Friday, August 10, 2012

What I Don’t Hear Emphasized Enough About Flipped Classrooms


It seems to me that people talk a lot about their rationale for flipping their classrooms, and their class structure within a flipped setting, and where they host their class site or screencasts, and a lot of other things. And don’t get me wrong, I love engaging #flipclass folks around this – I look forward to Monday nights so that I can do exactly that: learn from others and get ideas from people smarter than me. (“It’s not cheating, it’s collaborating!”) One thing I don’t hear enough, though, is a big shift that goes into flipping a classroom. I think that people who are considering flipping need to be willing to embrace spending more time on the skills of a subject area – and students’ ability to demonstrate those skills – and less time on the factual content of a subject area. This will come as heresy to some, but is a shift I think teachers need to be ready to make whether they flip their classrooms or not – take a look at the Common Core Standards. I also don’t think it is a shift that I hear discussed enough in flipped class circles. But hey, maybe I just don’t hang out with the right people. Just my two cents. Thoughts?