Saturday, January 26, 2013

Uh Oh

We are about two weeks into my ninth graders’ second semester of self-paced history. Time to check in and get some solid numbers to get a better feel for where everyone is at. Google forms to the rescue!

Anecdotally, I have seen some great growth in students who really struggled with self-paced learning last semester. However, I didn’t have solid numbers to know more precisely where all my students are in our imperialism unit. These numbers are based on my ‘suggested pace’ that I create for my students - this pace is what I feel is reasonable for students to move through a given unit at if they use their classtime well. Here are the numbers I got:

more than 1 week behind: 12%
1 week behind: 8%
3 days behind: 29%
1 day behind: 29%
right on track: 7%
1 day ahead: 7%
2 or more days ahead: 8%

So my students aren’t where I hoped they would be in the imperialism unit. Clearly my students aren’t using the time they have in class with me the way I hoped they would be. Yet. This means that the work they are choosing not to get done in class will need to move outside of classtime into homework, which I’m not thrilled about. But this is also a choice my students have made. And it provides some good fodder for a class discussion on Monday!