Thursday, May 30, 2013

Inquiry-Based History Curriculum

I’ve discussed the awesomeness of Professor Sam Wineburg and the Stanford History Education Group (SHEG) before. Their literacy and critical thinking infused history curriculum is an approach that I absolutely believe in. (Full disclosure: I was lucky enough to get my masters studying under Professor Wineburg and some of the SHEG folks.) Given the onset of Common Core (regardless of your opinions about the CCSS), this style of teaching a history class is finding more and more interested folks.

I got into a conversation last night with Joe (no last name given on his Twitter handle) about checking out some SHEG type lessons. I passed along a few things I have uploaded on my Google Drive. I figured linking them here wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world either.

A structured academic controversy about whether or not the partition of India was necessary is linked here.

The prep materials for a Socratic Seminar about whether World War I was a just war can be found here. The materials for a Socratic about the British outlawing sati in India are here.

The documents for an inquiry as to why the US entered World War I can be found here.

#SharingIsCaring

#BetterTogether

No comments:

Post a Comment