Tuesday, March 24, 2015

#youredustory, Week 12: School Breaks

Prompt: You're either in, just past or about to get to spring break. What are your thoughts on breaks - is there really a "slide"? How long is too long? How short is just right?

School's out by James 2 from flickr
I’m just about to get to spring break. I’ll be honest: I really need it.

I need a couple days that I sleep in and then lay around and read all day. I need a couple days where I don’t think about school or my classroom. I need a couple days where I can take a deep breath and take my time exhaling.

Is there a slide? I don’t know. After my one week spring break, I don’t notice one. After a two month summer break? That’s harder for me to tell.

What is ideal? I’d definitely prefer a year-round calendar with multiple shorter breaks. Both my students and I hit slumps during the year where we haven’t had a break in over a month and school can become a bit of a grind.

I’m not sure what the research out there says about year-round calendars. And frankly, I’m not sure what that research measures either. Basic factual recall? Ain’t nobody got time for that. Actual skill-based work? I’d be more interested in what research in that area has to say.

But almost regardless of the research - which I’m not going to take the time to look up, so there! - I’d rather have several shorter breaks and year-round school.

I think it would be better for everyone’s sanity.

---

More information on #youredustory can be found here. Consider joining in the fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment